Sunday, October 26, 2008

Some History About My Hair

I became a member of longhaircareforum.com in early April of this year and some great advice was given about tracking your progress as you grow your hair. I thought this was a great idea so I finally got a fotki account after snooping around and enjoying everyone else photo albums. I'm a little excited about sharing my experiences and actually being able to see how I get from point A to B.

Here's some history about my hair:
I've always done my own hair since I was about 10 and i seriously worked my natural hair into styles like braids and so on. One thing that forced me to do my own hair was that I am tender headed and everyone that did my hair would always pull or yank at my hair to the point where I would cry. I had enough and asked for a blow dryer and a flat iron and the rest is history. It wasn't until I reached my junior year of high school that someone suggested that I get a perm. While my hair had always been manageable to me, I had the feeling that thick hair is bad. I already knew that too much heat to your hair can be damaging and I was sold on the idea that after I perm my hair the only thing I would have to do is wash, blow dry, and go. (Which was a lye the only perm that I was ever able to do this with was Parnevu, everything else like African Pride, Dark and Lovely, and Pink Moisturizers did not do the miracle job.) After a year of perming I was ready to go back to my natural hair, but it was senior year and well thats when I found Parnevu. So for the following four years I had been hooked on the creamy crack and permanent light brown hair colors.

I guess I would have been okay with the stuff if my ends didn't break off so much from being over processed. And for some odd strange reason only the back of my hair breaks off tremendously ( I finally figured out this is because my hair is really fine in the back). This is the only reason why i did not color the back of my hair plus I wanted to get the two tone effect. After reading growafrohairlong.com I realized that my ends break off so much in the back partly because they're always rubbing against my shirts. ( I always wore my hair in a wrap after I started getting perms.) When I was in middle school I always wore my hair in a bun, I would always get teased about it because it would be so big like a huge button, but my hair was to the middle of my back then. Anyways I think I may go back to wearing buns in fact I even bought some new earrings today so that I can put this style into effect. (Not a big earring fan, but I feel naked when i don't wear my hair down.)

(Some comments in this post were originally written on April 19, 2008 on fotki.com)

No comments: