Sunday, October 26, 2008

April 19, 2008 Post- Beginning Hair Regimen



(Just posting some info of what was going on when I first started documenting)

<-- My new growth four months without a perm with conditioner in it.

My last perm was on December 14, 2007. So it has been a total of four months. I have an average length of an inch and a half of new growth so my hair is probably about an inch and a half past my shoulders because I cut my hair even a week after new years which made it shoulder length. I only did it because I had these two tails in the front that were two inches past my shoulder but the back of my hair was still at shoulder length (Not pretty). A week later I put my hair in some tyzillions and kept those in for about a month.

Then, I let my hair stay out of braids for about two weeks and I put some kinky twist in about a week before easter. Which brings us up to now. Yesterday I took out my twists and I washed my hair with a sls shampoo which I had no business doing, but I wanted to make sure my hair was clean (could have done the same thing with baking soda, but I wasn't sure if it would really get it super clean). I deep conditioned for about an hour and a half after shampooing, but my hair was still hard after it dried and I didn't retain moisture until I cowashed this morning with VO5 moisturizing strawberries and cream.

My hair has been so soft all day. I love it. When I finished with the cw I put some bonner brothers growth oil over my hair and a lot on my ends to keep them from getting dry. I pulled it back into a ponytail being sure to tuck the ends under. My first official wash and go. I'm a little proud.

I think there may be a few reasons why my hair was so dry yesterday though. The ultimate one being the sls shampoo. The second being I deep conditioned with moisturizing conditioners that contained protein. I'm not sure if this could be a causing factor but I will definitely find out the next time I wash which will be with baking soda and water. The third reason may be that I was impatient for my hair to dry and I sat under a heating cap for about a half an hour trying to rush my hair to dry. Which was not good for my scalp.

I am currently following the crown and glory technique off of growafrohairlong.com. My hair absolutely loves cw. I dont know what it is, but it loves it. So I'll be cw everyday with VO5 strengthening conditioner (mainly for my ends). I have a clarifying conditioner from the same company. I tried it when I had my twists in and it did make my scalp feel cleaner than when I used the moisturizing conditioner. So I guess I may actually clarify my scalp with baking soda every two to three weeks.

After I cw I would spray a water, bb growth oil, and tea tree oil (essential) mix on my hair but mostly on my scalp. I have a really dry scalp normally but since I've been using this mix and cw my scalp hasn't been dry and flaky as it normally is. O and it also leaves my hair shiny and silky looking. But my ends are another story. I looked at them after taking the ponytail out and they are truely fragile. I think tomorrow I will probably try putting some unrefined shea butter on my ends to see how that works.

I'm trying to stick with the idea that less is more as far as products are concerned I do have some IC fantasia gel with the sparklites for color treated hair, but I don't really like it unless its a small amount and mixed with water. It makes my hair super hard. O! that could also be a reason why my hair was so hard the other day.



(Edited for clarity)

No comments: