Sunday, October 26, 2008

Reasons Why I Decided to Go Natural

For five years I have been wanting to go natural (I've been a relaxed head for six years now), but didn't have the guts to because I was scared of what other people would think. But, now only my happiness and health are important when it comes to my appearance and especially my hair. Plus, life is way too short to not do something because of what someone may think. Besides they are not the one living with my or your decision.

Another reason for going natural was the influence of a few of my friends who had already started their journey. I think this has really helped to give me a base of support. Then IT happened! I watched a documentary called "zeigeist" which led to another documentary titled "the secret gate to eden" which led to "The Modern Racist Paradigm". OMG! These truly opened my eyes to a completely different world and I wanted to know more. "The Modern Racist Paradigm" included the doll test that was conducted again recently and it is shocking that even more than fifty years later our black youth are still choosing the white doll over the black doll!? WTH! Thats when I started thinking more culturally.

I want to be a role model for my family so they can know that they don't have to alter themselves to be considered beautiful. I'm not knocking relaxers they just don't work for me, but in addition its one thing to style your hair straight and its another to permanently alter it to stay in that one style. Our hair is extremely versatile and we can do so many more styles when our hair is natural than when its permanently straight especially when that new growth comes in. So I've decided to embrace my naps and be a role model. I think this became my number one reason.

The last reason on the list is that I want my hair to be long like it once was when I was in middle school right before I started going to high school. I had bsl in middle school and it was so thick and healthy ;-(

O, two more important factors about my hair history. They both go hand and hand. Scissors and ends, ends and scissors. Since I've been giving my own perms I've been giving self trims. I've been doing my self trims so long now that I can give myself a super even cut all the way around or even layers all the way around. Crazy I know, but some of it has a little to do with my cosmetology training. Well anyways. I think I tend to get scissor happy because every time I run my fingers over my ends I always get a piece of a split end in between my fingers or it lands on something where I am. I absolutely hate this so a lot of times when I go in to trim I come out with a cut. I feel this is another factor that goes into why I can't get my hair to grow farther than an inch past my shoulders. especially in the back. This always makes my trim turn into a bob cut. For the rest of this year every 6-8 weeks I'm going to try to limit my self to dusting so that there will be no cutting, but I can't promise because if it gets crazy and I see nothing but split ends on the bathroom floor I'm probably going to cut.

No comments: