Friday, July 24, 2009

What am I going to do?

What am I going to do? You may be wondering what these three little bottles are doing on the top of this post. And before you say it I know I'm contradicting myself, but I see this as another way to help me transition into caring for my natural hair without using braids.

To be honest with you during the last two sets of braids I am/was being very neglectful to my hair. No deep treatments once a week, no daily moisturizing, and most nights not even a scarf. These are super no no's. Right now I'm being super paranoid about if whether or not my braids are about to fall out at any moment because I haven't been moisturizing. These are the number one things to do if you desire breakage from braids.

In the midst of my laziness I have found that I take better care of my hair when it is left out. I had better growth ( I think now) when I was doing my twist outs and braid outs. With this style I had no choice but to moisturize every time I styled and I would cowash more frequently with these styles.

I have done these styles on my natural hair, but I did not like the results. I was very displeased with the frizz issue. Since I have been natural I have yet to have a style with low to no frizz. Which is the reason for the bottles pictured at the top. This is my experiment.

Problem: Frizzy Hair

Research:



After searching multiple forums, threads, and different products I have chosen one particular product to try. It is known for its frizz reducing results and straightening effects as well as strengthening weak and broken hair. This product does contain controversial ingredients which include ethyl alcohol which according to cosmeticdatabase.com has a moderate hazard score by itself. The ingredients in these products next to my staple conditioner and shampoo are actually more safe to use. Especially considering that I only propose that I use the products once every three to four months. Reviews done by pinkskates, ManeandChic, and members of lhcf have prompted me to want to give this particular treatment a try. I am aware of the negative side effects that may occur from this treatment and am prepared to take all the blame and cry from my own doing if anything (God forbid) bad happens. But at worst my hair could forever have a loosened texture. I haven chosen to do the soft-liss brand of this treatment because it is the most affordable and I won't wast product by purchasing too much (these treatments only have a shelf life of 12 months).



Most reviews have stated to go to a salon for the first treatment, but as I have mentioned before I haven't been to a salon in some years now. Honestly, I really only trust myself with my hair. Therefore if my hair is messed up I can only blame myself. Also the treatment seams simple enough that I should have no problem doing it. Also mind you all I do have cosmetology experience and have been doing my own hair since the age of 12 if not younger (a lot of flatironing and braiding). It seems the most important step in this treatment is the blowdrying and flatironing process. It is sad, but I do consider myself a pro with these tools after working with them for so long. It seems strange that I don't use them as often as I use to.


Hypotheses: These three bottles will minimize and eliminate the bulk of frizz that I now have.



Procedure: Accordoing to soft-liss.com



1. Wash hair with warm water and apply Soft-Liss Deep Wash Shampoo STEP 1 two to four times.



2. Completely dry hair with a dryer, there is no need to use a brush. Use fingers or a comb to untangle.



3. Divide hair into 4 parts. Separate each part where product will be applied, starting from the back.



4. Pour enough volume reducer Soft-Liss Intelligent Brush STEP 2 into a plastic container.



5. Once applied, hair should be damp with product. Apply volume reducer using gloves, with the help of a brush on all 4 parts of the hair as close to the scalp as possible without touching it, distributing it throughout the length.



6. Comb hair thoroughly for 5 minutes to activate product. Wait 15 minutes and dry strands superficially.



7. Divide the hair into 4 parts again and do thorough Blow Dry.



8. Divide the hair once more into 4 parts and iron each part 5 to 6 times minimum, more if needed. The Blow Dry and Ironing steps are the secret to excellent results.



9. After the complete application process, wait 1 hour and wash hair with cold water. Apply the Soft-Liss Nurturing Mask STEP 3 massaging each strand for at least 5 minutes. Wash hair again with cold water, and Blow Dry.

The Results and Conclusion stage will be up in another two weeks or so I guess whenever finals are over and I have enough free time to take down my braids down and do everything to prep my hair for this treatment. As well as the materials. ( I realized over the weekend that I do not own a fine tooth comb.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Easy enough actually no different than using a relaxer which I have been doing at home for too many years. I also have tried the product and use it. It is a Godsend during the summer months when it is humid and nothing tames my curly hair. Go for it you will love the results!